Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sheer desperation...

Last night when Pollard woke at 3:15, as he does EVERY BLEEPING NIGHT OF HIS TINY LITTLE LIFE, I had it. I put his macho arms back into his swaddle, vecroe'd that sucker tight and stuck in the paci.
No such luck.
Turns out that now when he's really alert and awake he rolls straight over onto his tummy (more to come on this, pics, etc). So when I am walking out of his nursery, I see him topple over onto his face, right into the bumper. I see SIDS, I go running back. This is exactly what he wants me to do...
I flop him back over, he flops back on his tummy. I flop him, he grunts and flops himself. We do this exercise 3 times, and it's now 3:25. I resort to making a bottle, put it in his mouth, he sucks it down and back to bed he goes, swaddle and all.
In my concerned state about finding him face first 2 nights in a row now, I called Sheree, the all-knowing nurse at Pediatric Healthcare. She told me immediately that I had to take him out of the swaddle. This reduced me to tears. All I know about that is Allison took Riley out of his swaddle and he woke up every hour. Dear God save me from tonight.
Pollard is a beastly little baby, and when he grunts and throws himself around, he's not kidding. I'm terribly sleep deprived and exhausti-fied. HEEELLLPPP UUUSSSS.

6 comments:

Lauren Baugh said...

Oh my gosh!!! I will die when I have to stop swaddling Lendon!!! I hate this you for but maybe he will continue to sleep for longer periods of time. I feel your pain and understand your exhaustion... Lendon is still not sleeping well; however he did have a 6 hour strech last night!!! Unfortunatley, he go up every hour on the hour after that :(

Emily said...

Liam and I read your blog and love watching Pollard grow! I remember that phase and when we switched Liam to sleep sacks-which are safe and I totally recommend. We still have him in his sleep sacks now because no matter where he rolls to, he's still covered and warm. Don't worry though, he's still sleeping well even without the swaddle. Good luck!!

Tara Verdigets said...

Hi! My name is Tara and I read your blog bc our little ones are close to the same age. I was friends with Meghan at Auburn. We are kindof going through the same thing right now! Blair is waking up around 4:45 bc she is breaking out of her swaddle. It is SO time for us to break the swaddle habit too, but I DREAD it. I will be reading to see what works bc we are just a few weeks away from going through no-swaddle boot camp. Good luck and I'll stay tuned!
Tara Verdigets
www.theverdigets.blogspot.com

Allison & Michael Godwin said...

Ahhh I need you to post about last night! Riley has returned to the swaddle and I have to get up occassionally and reswaddle or feed him, but the end in near and I want to cry too. I also want to cry bc this waking up 2 times a night is leaving me quite a mess! I know I should not complain bc he was such a good sleeper for so long...but it is killing me.

Bowman said...

Ok...YES!! I definitely agree w emmy and nicky. tanner transitioned perfectly from the swaddle to the zipper blanket and he's still in them. you can buy them in every single size length..seriously they have adult zipper blankets. wouldn't recommend continuing this habbit into adulthood, but hey, if it works...? momma needs her sleep!

cstinnette said...

Hi Lindsey- If you are worried about Pollard being cold at night, move to the sleep sack. He is at the age where he will fight the swaddle b/c he wants to begin turning over to his tummy. This is SO scary, but after a few weeks, you will get used to it and he will begin sleeping through the night on a regular basis. It is a blessing in disguise! Once he begins turning over all the time, get rid of the sleep positioner and just let him lay in his crib with nothing in there. He will flip to his tummy and move all around during the night. We got the monitor that we can watch her on - that way we were not having to run in there all the time - and could mave sure she was ok at this point. We still use it every night. My little girl is 13 months. Hope this helps!!